Bob in a bag

Bob in a bag

Wednesday, 5 March 2014

My Country - Images of magical places

The following is a verse from My Country written by Dorothea MacKeller

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

For me this verse sums up the far north of Australia and I have been fortunate to live in two breath taking tropical place.  For over thirty years I lived in the Northern Territory and from 1998 East Kimberly in Western Australia.  Both of these places have a magical quality that still lingers after seven years of being away. Both Katherine in the Northern Territory and Kununurra in Western Australia only have two seasons, the Dry Season and the Wet Season 


Thermal Spring that flow into the Katherine River





Katherine River in flood 


Katherine Gorge, hard to believe the water was touching the tops of the rock sides during the floods
Edith Falls
  





View from my kitchen window, Kelly's Knob

Ivanhoe Crossing a great palace for fishing

Kelly's Knob during monsoon storm











The following photos of Kununrra were taken by EastKimberley Photography to view more awesome photo's go to www.facebook.com/EastkimberleyPhotography






The following photos are of two things the Kimberley s are famous for

Argyle Diamond. The diamonds mined around Kununurra come in various colours including, champagne,  green and pink.

A Green Tree frog.  They live in both the Northern Territory and East Kimberly
We now live in Queensland, not as rugged or as stunning just a little more sedate. Beautiful in its own way

My final photo is a sunset near Darwin.




6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you have lived in DarwinPauline! I was up there in the 70's and would go back in the blink of an eye, if I could convince Alan to!

    Though after having been back there in the late 90's, I was surprised and a little sad to see how much Darwin itself had changed. I guess it is called progress.

    Love your photograqphs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaz
      We lived in Katherine from 1969 to 1997. My dad was in the RAAF and was Posted to Katherine when RAAF base Tindal was being built. He left the RAAF in 1970 after 21 years. I have been to visit my parents in Darwin in 2007. The Top End is still a great place to visit
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Photos, how lucky we are to live such a beautiful country~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue we are blessed to live in such a beautiful country.
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  3. What beautiful photos! I would love to visit Australia, but I think that 18 hour flight would be the end of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen
      The flight is a bit of a killer. We visited England and was glad to get off the plane.
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.